The Preservation History Database is the first-stop encyclopedic resource for those interested in topics related to the history of preservation.
This educational tool is meant to function as an encyclopedia of New York City’s preservation history, a gateway for academic researchers, and a resource for contemporary preservationists. Entries in the database are not in-depth explorations and analyses; their purpose is to provide comprehensive, accurate, and succinct facts that direct visitors to other available resources. To make the Preservation History Database a useful research tool, the Archive Project aims to identify archival collections, oral histories, and digital resources that are relevant to each entry and make information on their locations and accessibility easily available. The database is continuously updated with new topics and new information. Contact us with any questions, comments, or suggestions.
Also known as ASHPS, Trustees of Scenic and Historic Places and Objects in the State of New York, and The Society for the Preservation of Scenic and Historic Places and Objects
The American Scenic and Historic Preservation Society, formed in March of 1895, was New York’s first organized preservation lobby.
This committee, formed in 1961 by Mayor Robert F. Wagner, reported that New York City required a landmarks law and a permanent commission in order to preserve historic sites.
Also know as the Committee for the Extension of Tribeca's Historic Districts
The Committee for the Washington Market Historic District was founded in 1984 to campaign for designation of a historic district in Tribeca.
Also known as the Village Neighborhood Committee for the Clock on Jefferson Market Courthouse
Formed in 1957, members of this organization advocated for restarting the clock of the Jefferson Market Courthouse as a method of bringing attention to the preservation of the building.